Same shit, different movie: reviews of The Dark Knight Returns Or Rises Or Whatever are trickling in, and hordes of uncivilized “fanboys” are once again engaged in violent expressions of displeasure over the apparently inconceivable notion that some critics don’t think these films have got it goin’ on. Anyway, I don’t care all that much anymore, but I guess that’s not quite true since I tweeted a couple things along the lines of this:
So then I put it to my Twitter followers: if you were to kidnap the Batboys who crucify all the negative reviews in the comments section of Rotten Tomatoes (ugh), what movie would you force them to watch?
I got some pretty interesting responses. Some were jokes; some were punishments, making the fans sit through something either intolerably crappy or painfully difficult to watch; some arose from an earnest impulse to expose people to quality cinema; some were a combination of the above; some (like my own example above) came from a more nebulous place, with motives not easily ascribed. Anyway, here the tweets I got, presented verbatim:
- "triumph of the will, same as everyone"
- "Any gay porn. Any."
- "The Apple"
- "THE TURIN HORSE"
- "the rocketeer, man, its always a good time to watch the rocketeer"
- "Darkman III: Die Darkman Die"
- "are we trying to win them over/alter their minds or just abuse them? if latter then def SWEET MOVIE or something of the like"
- "Anything by Michael Snow."
- "pretty much any Busby Berkeley film."
- "My dogg Andrei Tarkovsky’s joints, back to back to back #awwwyeah"
- "probably Trash Humpers or something"
- "Oh!!!! Godard’s KING LEAR!!!"
- "Flaming Creatures."
- "This: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1808269/”
Tear down the canon—we’ve just created a new one!